Ben McLemore Speaks Out About Payments to His Former AAU Coach
Ben McLemore announced soon after the season that he would be leaving the University of Kansas and taking his talents to the National Basketball Association. This was no surprise, seeing that McLemore is likely to be picked either first or second in the draft. What was a surprise was that McLemore’s former AAU basketball coach was paid $10,000 to steer Ben McLemore to the NBA.
This controversy has McLemore depressed to say the least. He spoke out recently to Sports Illustrated and Campusinsiders.com saying, “I hope it don’t affect Kansas because there’s so much tradition there,” McLemore went on. “I don’t want to be one of those guys that can’t be allowed to come back.”
“My reaction was like, ‘Wow,’” he said. “That was someone that I could trust, and I put a person in my circle that I felt comfortable with and I know a long time that I wanted to help me through this process (of choosing an agent). And for him to say the things he did and put that out there like that, I wish it wasn’t true … (Former AAU Coach) put me in jeopardy and my family in jeopardy.”
As a big fan of the former KU guard, I hope McLemore succeeds on the next level. I would love to say that I thought McLemore would not be affected by this recent dilemma, however, no matter how mentally tough he is, he will not shake this one off for a while. Hopefully, this will all be resolved soon, and Ben can began to focus on his NBA career.
- McLemore on allegations AAU coach took money (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Report: Ben McLemore’s AAU coach took agent payments (kansas.com)
- NCAA investigates Ben McLemore, accused of infractions by fmr. coach (fox4kc.com)
- AAU Coach Was Paid Thousands To Convince Ben McLemore To Enter Draft (blacksportsonline.com)
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations (collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Ex-AAU coach of Kansas star Ben McLemore admits accepting money (gantdaily.com)
- Ben McLemore’s AAU coach: I took money from agents (collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Former Jayhawk Opurum signs with Chiefs (kansascity.com)
- Ben McLemore’s Faith in AAU Coach a Cautionary Tale for NBA Prospects (bleacherreport.com)
- Report: Coach paid to sway McLemore to draft (espn.go.com)