Royals: Third basemen don’t grow on trees
Kansas City Royals‘ Manager Ned Yost made it pretty clear in his latest post game interview that third baseman do not grow on trees. Critics and fans are getting weary of Royals’ current third baseman Mike Moustakas‘ slow start to the season. And, although his numbers are awful to this point, Yost is not ready to due away with his young prospect(Ned Yost vows to remain patient with Mike Moustakas and others). Moustakas is batting only .176 with four long balls. Yost went on quite a rant about his situation at the third base position.
“You know what?” Yost said. “Maybe when we get home, I can go to the third base tree and pick another third baseman. … Obviously, third basemen who can hit and hit with power, they must grow on trees.
“They’ve got to. Like relief pitchers. And starting pitchers. Right fielders. Left fielders. First basemen. All of these guys must grow on trees, and you must be able to just go get another good one. A ripe one. Make sure it’s ripe.
“Those trees are at a hidden location but, obviously, they’re somewhere. Because that’s what everyone wants to do. Let’s just go pluck another one out of the tree. That’s the nonsense that really ticks me off.”
It’s safe to say the Royals are in quite a funk at the moment.
As every fan and analyst that has been watching Kansas City play for the past two weeks knows, when the Royals hit the ball well, their pitching is below average, when their pitching is beyond belief good, their bats put up one run (like the other night in Houston).
Now, after being swept by the Los Angeles Angels in a four game series, they get four more games against the best team in baseball right now, the Saint Louis Cardinals (Two at home and two on the road).
The real question at this point is not whether the Royals’ third baseman will turn the corner on his funk, but rather if the Royals will start winning games again. After starting the the season 17-10, the Royals are now 21-26 approaching the end of May.
- Ned Yost vows to remain patient with Mike Moustakas and others (kansascity.com)
- Royals’ Collapse (jkansascity.wordpress.com)
- Shields strong again in Royals’ 3-1 loss to Astros (kansascity.com)
- JACK: Yost’s mistakes costing Royals (kshb.com)
- Mike Moustakas rewards Ned Yost for keeping the faith (kansascity.com)
- Kansas City Royals Have to Be Concerned About Mike Moustakas (bleacherreport.com)
- Moustakas’ numbers down, but Yost not counting him out (mlb.mlb.com)
- Why Ned Yost smiles through the Royals’ struggles (kansascity.com)