Miguel Tejada: A Royal Mistake
The former Most Valuable Player in 2002 Miguel Tejada has been suspended for 105 games due to failing two drug tests for amphetamine.
Tejada is 39-years-old and is not signed beyond this season with the Kansas City Royals.
Tejada had already been put on the 60-day disabled list. The suspension would cause him to miss two months next season if he played. He recently spoke out in regard to his Attention Deficit Disorder.
“I’ve been using it [Adderall] for the past five years and had medical permission from MLB. But my last permit expired on April 15 and they didn’t give me another. I knew that I was in risk of breaking the rules, but at the same time, I could not stop using the medicine because I suffer from ADD [Attention Deficit Disorder]. It’s not a vice, it is a disease.”
“It is unfortunate for me that things have not gone well, but I want people to be clear about my condition, which affects many other people in the world. When I do not take my medicine, I cannot focus properly, and even forget things very easily.”
Miguel Tejada’s teammate James Shields also spoke up about the suspension saying, “It doesn’t matter if you’re MVP or king of the world. If you’re going to do things that are illegal, you’re going to get caught for it and you’re going to get suspended,” he said, “It’s a shame because I really like him a lot as a teammate.”
This is not the first time Miguel Tejada has been convicted of such acts. In 2009, he was one of the first to plead guilty from the steroid era.
Tejada’s suspension is the third-longest non-lifetime suspension handed down by MLB, behind Alex Rodriguez’s pending 211-game ban and Steve Howe’s 119-game sanction in 1992.
Due to his older age, it is very questionable whether Tejada will ever play in the MLB ever again. Despite a great career, it will forever be tainted by the steroid era and his most recent suspension. However, Tejada said he did not plan to retire from baseball.
“I hope to get the contract, and if possible, the renewal of my permission to use a drug which I depend less each time,” he said.
- Miguel Tejada tagged with 105-game suspension for drug violation (fox4kc.com)
- Former MVP Miguel Tejada suspended 105 games for PED use (wjla.com)
- Kansas City Infielder Miguel Tejada Supended For Drug Use (wnyc.org)
- Royals’ Miguel Tejada suspended 105 games for PED use (cbc.ca)
- MLB to Suspend Miguel Tejada 105 games for Amphetamines (thasportsjunkies101.wordpress.com)
- Tejada latest to be suspended for PEDs (utsandiego.com)
- Miguel Tejada suspended 105 games for amphetamines (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Royals’ Tejada suspended 105 games for PED use (kansascity.com)